On December 31, 1971, Grand Master Woo-jin Jung landed at the Cedar Rapids, Iowa airport in the United States. The ground was covered with a meter of snow. Both confused and awestruck, he thought, ‘This is the land for me to be challenged.’Read More
아리랑, 아리랑, 아라리요…
아리랑 고개로 넘어간다.
나를 버리고 가시는 님은
십리도 못가서 발병난다.
Arirang, Arirang, Arariyo…
Arirang gogaero neomeoganda.
Nareul beorigo gasineun nimeun
Simnido motgaseo balbbyeongnanda.
Arirang, Arirang, Arariyo…
Crossing over Arirang Pass.
The one who abandoned me
Shall not walk even 4 kilometers before their feet hurt.
- – Born in Ul-Ju-Gun, Kyng Sang Nam Do, South Korea
- – Earned a B.A. Degree in Mechanical Engineering at Han-Yang University
- -Immigrated to the U.S.
- – Established the Tae Kwon Do Academy in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- – Established New Life Fitness World fitness club
- – Established Tri-Mount Publication, Inc.
– First published the Tae Kwon Do Times
- – President of the Korean-American Society of Iowa
- – First U.S and Canadian Tae Kwon Do tour to Korea (Hosted by TKD Times)
- – Coordinated sister city founding between Cedar Rapids, Iowa and Ul-Ju Gun, South Korea
- – Formed joint Tae Kwon Do demo team, with athletes from North and South Korea, as well as the U.S.
- – Eagle’s Nest (a Tae Kwon Do practice facility) opens at Colorado Springs
- – Member of NUAC (National Unification Advisory Council)
- – First North Korean Tae Kwon Do Tour (Hosted by TKD Times)
- – Kyung-Hee University Honorary Professor
- – Member of Kyung-Sang-Buk-Do, Korean Honorary Advisor
- – 2nd World TKD Festival Prayer for Unification — 60 participants from 12 countries performed board-breaking ceremony at the north side of the Korean DMZ (AP special news)
- – North Korean TKD Demo Team performs at Goodwill Tour (first time North Korean national anthem played in 5 major U.S. cities)
- – In response to Goodwill Tour, New York Philharmonic Orchestra plays American National Anthem for the first time in North Korea.
- – Established Woo-jin Jung Tree in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- – Kye-Myung University — Tae Kwon Do Department Special Professor
- – 2nd North Korean Tae Kwon Do Demo Team performs in 3 major eastern U.S. cities during Goodwill Tour
– Free Style Sparring, a Tae Kwon Do book
– 세계가 우리를 기다린다 (Korean)
– Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams, an autobiography
– Revised edition of Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams
– Best Instructor + Best School = Best Life! (English)
– 가난과 고난은 인생의보약이다 (Korean)
– 최고의사범+최고의도장=Best Life! (Korean)Back to Top
– Honorary Korean Award, presented by Prime Minister
– Iowa Minority Small Business Person of the Year, presented by the Small Business Administration
– Iowa Economic Development Award
– TKD Ambassador Award, presented by the U.S. Taekwondo Grandmaster Society
– Founding of Woojin Jun Tree Monument, dedicated by the City of Cedar Rapids)
– Multi-Ethnic Sport Hall of Fame, 2011 inductee for Tae Kwon Do
– Living Legend of Tae Kwon Do, presented at the Legends of Martial Arts Hall of Fame AwardsBack to Top
– Jung’s Black Belt Foundation
– Woo Jin Scholarship, awarded to elementary and middle school students in Master Jung’s hometown of Ulsan, South Korea
– Grand Master Honorary Foundation
– Jung Family Charitable FoundationBack to Top
– Jung’s Tae Kwon Do Academy, Inc. (45 branches in 4 states)
– New Life Fitness World (7 clubs in 4 cities)
– Point Aerie Ltd., LLC
– Mountain Top Co. (Department Store, Office Building)
– Tae Kwon Do Times (internationally-published magazine)Back to Top