On December 31, 1971, Grand Master Woo-jin Jung landed at the Cedar Rapids, Iowa airport in the United States. The ground was covered with a meter of snow. Both confused and awestruck, he thought, ‘This is the land for me to be challenged.’Read More
아리랑, 아리랑, 아라리요…
아리랑 고개로 넘어간다.
나를 버리고 가시는 님은
십리도 못가서 발병난다.
Arirang, Arirang, Arariyo…
Arirang gogaero neomeoganda.
Nareul beorigo gasineun nimeun
Simnido motgaseo balbbyeongnanda.
Arirang, Arirang, Arariyo…
Crossing over Arirang Pass.
The one who abandoned me
Shall not walk even 4 kilometers before their feet hurt.
- – Born in Ul-Ju-Gun, Kyng Sang Nam Do, South Korea
- – Earned a B.A. Degree in Mechanical Engineering at Han-Yang University
- -Immigrated to the U.S.
- – Established the Tae Kwon Do Academy in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- – Established New Life Fitness World fitness club
- – Established Tri-Mount Publication, Inc.
– First published the Tae Kwon Do Times
- – President of the Korean-American Society of Iowa
- – First U.S and Canadian Tae Kwon Do tour to Korea (Hosted by TKD Times)
- – Coordinated sister city founding between Cedar Rapids, Iowa and Ul-Ju Gun, South Korea
- – Formed joint Tae Kwon Do demo team, with athletes from North and South Korea, as well as the U.S.
- – Eagle’s Nest (a Tae Kwon Do practice facility) opens at Colorado Springs
- – Member of NUAC (National Unification Advisory Council)
- – First North Korean Tae Kwon Do Tour (Hosted by TKD Times)
- – Kyung-Hee University Honorary Professor
- – Member of Kyung-Sang-Buk-Do, Korean Honorary Advisor
- – 2nd World TKD Festival Prayer for Unification — 60 participants from 12 countries performed board-breaking ceremony at the north side of the Korean DMZ (AP special news)
- – North Korean TKD Demo Team performs at Goodwill Tour (first time North Korean national anthem played in 5 major U.S. cities)
- – In response to Goodwill Tour, New York Philharmonic Orchestra plays American National Anthem for the first time in North Korea.
- – Established Woo-jin Jung Tree in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- – Kye-Myung University — Tae Kwon Do Department Special Professor
- – 2nd North Korean Tae Kwon Do Demo Team performs in 3 major eastern U.S. cities during Goodwill Tour
- – 37 years, 9 fitness centers in US. Semi-retired, next generation, my son, continued in Las Vegas.
- – Back to original location, created history room, established Jung’s Taekwondo Black Belt Association, a non-profit entity.
- – 1st ever ITF Taekwondo Team visits S Korea and joint demonstration with WTF team.
- – Helped WTF, ITF to meet in S Korea, 45 years later to try to make peace. I was invited to the meeting.
– N Korea and S Korea special opening ceremony demonstration at Pyeong Chang winter Olymics. Special guest at this event. KBS made special documentary.
-After 2007/ 2011 Good Will Tours to N Korea and 2008 New York Philharmonic exchange program, KBS asked me to arrange a 3rd Goodwill Tour.Back to Top
– Free Style Sparring, a Tae Kwon Do book
– 세계가 우리를 기다린다 (Korean)
– Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams, an autobiography
– Revised edition of Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams
– Best Instructor + Best School = Best Life! (English)
– 가난과 고난은 인생의보약이다 (Korean)
– 최고의사범+최고의도장=Best Life! (Korean)
– Taekwondo Times published for 39 years in 160 countries. Uniting the world through martial arts. So far history made.Back to Top
– Honorary Korean Award, presented by Prime Minister
– Iowa Minority Small Business Person of the Year, presented by the Small Business Administration
– Iowa Economic Development Award
– TKD Ambassador Award, presented by the U.S. Taekwondo Grandmaster Society
– Founding of Woojin Jun Tree Monument, dedicated by the City of Cedar Rapids)
– Multi-Ethnic Sport Hall of Fame, 2011 inductee for Tae Kwon Do
– Living Legend of Tae Kwon Do, presented at the Legends of Martial Arts Hall of Fame Awards
– So many awards and letters of thanks from all over the world. My focus has been on poor and disabled people all over the world.
North Korea & ITF returns to WTF World Championship in South Korea for the first time in 45 years. Woojin Jung arrived barefoot, only in his dobo with a sign to mark the historic event, carrying the spirit of traditional TaeKwonDo founder General Choi Hong Hi, realizing their dream of returning to their homeland. Not WTF or ITF, I am a pioneer of TKD. Not North or South Korea, I am Korean.
Winter Olympics opening ceremony in Pyeong Chang, South Korea in February 2018. Woojin Jung helped to facilitate the demonstrations between the North & South Korean Taekwondo demonstration teams. There was a KBS documentary(태권도, 하나를 위한 도전) done mentioning Woojin Jung’s help as being instrumental in bringing these two countries together for this historic event. This documentary was shared at the event before the closing on February 24th.
KBS full length documentary made to document the efforts of Taekwondo Times, Woojin Jung & U.S. Taekwondo people in bringing North & U.S. Taekwondo people together, starting with the Goodwill Tours of 2007 & 2011. These historic events were sponsored and funded by Woojin Jung. With the release of the KBS documentary(태권도 평화를 위한여정), the Korean government has more excitement about hiring KBS for a Third and last Goodwill Tour in the future.
– Jung’s Black Belt Foundation
– Woo Jin Scholarship, awarded to elementary and middle school students in Master Jung’s hometown of Ulsan, South Korea
– Grand Master Honorary Foundation
– Jung Family Charitable FoundationBack to Top
– Jung’s Tae Kwon Do Academy, Inc. (45 branches in 4 states)
– Point Aerie Ltd., LLC
– Mountain Top Co. (Department Store, Office Building)
– Tae Kwon Do Times (internationally-published magazine)
– Jung’s charity family foundation (focused on handicapped and disadvantaged children worldwide)Back to Top